Zoe and I will be presenting February 15th on internet advertising and a number of unique issues which it raises. To give an idea of what we will cover, please see our our full discussion outline below.
Please have a look at the following reading materials in advance of our discussion:
- Ben Elgin et al, “The Fake Traffic Schemes that Are Rotting the Internet”, Bloomberg (2015), online: <https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-click-fraud/>.
- Competition Bureau, “False or Misleading Representations and Deceptive Marketing Practices”, (2009, pamphlet), online: <http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/03133.html>.
- An example of a Competition Bureau bulletin: “The Deceptive Marketing Practices Digest”, (2015) vol, online: <http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/vwapj/cb-digest-deceptive-marketing-e.pdf/$FILE/cb-digest-deceptive-marketing-e.pdf>.
How Internet Advertising Works
- Advertisers (often, but not exclusively) use…
- Ad networks (such as Google DoubleClick, Taboola, etc.) to place links to their websites or content on the pages of…
- Publishers (e.g., newspapers, blogs, other various web sites) to draw in…
- Audience(s) (you!).
Privacy & Tracking
- The modern online advertising industry is built on the collection of user information. What (legal) privacy limits should be imposed on this?
- Also, consider implications with regards to “big data” and government surveillance—even if current practices do not offend privacy rights, the retention of user information could present a problem in the future.
Deceptive & Fraudulent Advertising
- Are current regulations and regulatory frameworks effective?
- Do traditional consumer protection models even work in this context?
Adblocking & the Sustainability of Advertising as an Income Model
- Content creator appeals to ethos & the morality of refusing to be advertised to: asking the audience to turn off Adblock?
- Potential different models: sponsored content or affiliate links?
- When and why do we turn off Adblock and consent to see advertising?